1. Sift dry ingredients into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
2. Add the butter and cut it into small pieces. Rub it
into the flour with the tips of your fingers, until the mixture resembles
3. Add the water, a tablespoon at a time, and press the
mixture together into a ball. The pastry should be soft, but not sticky.
Refrigerate for 20–30 minutes.
4. Squeeze the lemon into a bowl of cold water. Core, peel
and quarter the apples. After each quarter is peeled place in the bowl of
lemon water, to prevent the apple from going brown.
5. Grease a flan dish and roll out the pastry on a floured
board. Place the pastry in the dish and trim to fit, making sure it comes up
the sides. Prick the base all over with a fork.
6. Spoon the apple compote onto the base, and spread out
with the back of the spoon. Slice the apples thinly and arrange in
7. Cook in the oven at 180°C Gas Mark 6 for 30–40
minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.