(325 g) plain flour
1. Sift the flour into a medium-sized bowl and add the sugar.
2. Rub in the margarine till it starts to form a soft dough.
3. Divide the mixture into two halves and put one half into another bowl.
4. Add the vanilla to one half of the dough and the cocoa to the other. Mix well.
5. Chop the hazelnuts roughly and dry roast them in a small frying pan, stirring once or twice.
6. Meanwhile press the chocolate mixture into an ungreased 7˝ x 9˝ tin until it is spread evenly to the edges.
7. Roughly roll out the vanilla mix and lay it on top of the chocolate dough. Mould it to the edges.
8. Smooth the surface with a palette knife and sprinkle with the hazelnuts. Press them into the dough, then mark out the pieces with a sharp knife.
9. Bake in an oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4 for 25 - 30 minutes or until the edges start to brown slightly. Cut when still warm and leave to cool in tin.
Home Cooking Home Page