30 ml (2 tablespoons) rice flour
300 gm (10 ounces) plain flour
50 gm (2 ounces) icing sugar
225 ml (8 ounces) margarine or butter
You will also need: a large bowl, a sieve, two round trays 18 cm (7 inches) across.
1. Sift flours and icing sugar into a large bowl and rub in margarine or butter.
2. Press together firmly, then lightly knead until smooth, adding more flour if the dough is sticky.
3. Divide the mixture between two greased trays 18 cm (7 inches) round.
4. Pinch decorative edge with floured fingers, cut into 8 wedges and prick with a fork.
5. Bake them in oven at gas mark 3 (325°F) for 15 minutes, until the shortbreads have come away from the edge of the tin.
6. Cut again, stand 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Home Cooking Home Page